>

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Makings of a FAMILY

Tis the season (well... almost) where we remember all the things that were thankful for... and usually the first thing on every ones list is their "family".  I am no different... I have an amazing family... theres lots of us so theres lots of love to go around.  But someone.... we will call this person "Jane" said something the other day and its really made me think... she said "Families are supposed to be close..." Yeah, I guess your right.  Families should be a lot of things.  With my family, I have a  support system, a best friend, a lending ear, a shoulder to cry on, someone to laugh with, someone to shop with, someone to look up to, someone to set an example for. I was born into a wonderful family, and now I have started a family of my own.  And just so were clear- Im NOT saying MY family is perfect... but we dont let small things get in between us.  We all have made decisions that we all may not agree with, but at the end of the day- I know that we all know we sill love eachother and would do anything for eachother.

So let me backtrack.... in case you don't know- my relationship with my "in laws" isn't the greatest.  Not all of them... but enough of them that after being part of Josh's life for 10 years, and being married for over 4, I still don't think that they accept me (or Harper & Reese) as their "Family".  When I told "Jane" that I didn't want to go to Idaho to visit without Josh because of the way I felt she said "We are not the worst."  Yeah, that may be true, your not the worst... but you could be better.  Never have I seen so many malicious acts within a "family".  If I didn't know better, I would say half of the time you guys plot on how to make someone upset!!!  Families call on holidays, and Birthdays, or send cards... they are HAPPY when you have a baby, or get married, and happy when your happy.  They don't talk about you behind your back, or only focus on negative thoughts... and they sure as heck don't go LOOKING for drama to cause when their day is just a little boring.  Oh, and if you think that getting a "gift" for every occasion is part of being a family, then I pity you. 

I think it was in "Bambi" where the mom said "if you cant say anything nice, then dont say anything at all".  I think some people need a reminder of that.  Words you say really do cut deep... so I would suggest that before the distance between this "family" gets bigger, you take a look at yourself and realize what part of the distance gap you had your hand in.  I dont feel bad for the people who choose to not be in our lives... its not hurting me... its hurting you.  I have stopped letting it hurt me.  Im not making anyone a priority who only make me and my family an option.  I found a poem about what a family is:
Family comes together
For always and forever
In sickness and in health
In poverty or in wealth
Family comes together
For always and forever
Without any reason
Anytime or any season
Family comes together
For always and forever
In death or in life
In happiness or in strife
Family comes together
For always and forever
In anger or in kindness
Whether all seeing or in blindness
Family comes together
For always and forever
Whether for work or for play
They somehow find a way
For family to come together
Because families are forever

So, I raise my glass (of sparkling water and lime) mmmm..... that in 2012 we all take a look and realize whats important.  Are you going to continue to act like crap talking caddy 15 year olds?  Because if you are.... please remove yourself from my families life.  We are a lot better off without you.

On a side note- (and you know who you are when I say this): For someone who says they want "NOTHING TO DO WITH MY FAMILY"... you sure do keep and EXTRA close eye on my blog to see just what were up to.  Your actually are the most loyal reader I have!!  Just sayin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment