I have always wanted to have a big American Flag flying in front of my house... so I figured yesterday was just as good as any other day. We live about 4 miles from base- but every morning at 8 am you hear the National Anthem play clear as day. And every night you hear the music as they lower the flag. I thought it would be fun to raise mine and take it back inside at the same time!
While Harper sat on the balcony watching me attempt to screw in the holder I heard a mom & her 2 kids talking as they took a walk. As I was telling Harper how special the flag is, and how we never let it touch the ground- the family stopped in front of the house and starred at my tree. The little boy said "Mommy.... why do they have that yellow ribbon on that tree?" The mom started to cry & knelt down... "Remember when daddy went to war & how he cant come home? Well- they put that ribbon up there and hope that their daddy will get to come home... When he does they will take it down." He just starred and said "ooooh ok...." She wiped her tears away and they proceeded to walk. I grabbed Harper and went inside... I couldn't hold back my tears.
Wow you were right. I couldnt help the tears. I want you to know that we keep you, Harper and Josh in our prayers. We hope for a safe return and that you will all be safe and watched over. We sure love you all and the sacrifices that you all make so that we can enjoy the freedoms we do. We love you guys!
ReplyDeleteWhat a tearjerker! It brings back memories of my childhood days and my dad being gone as much as he was to fight for our country.. I'm so proud of Josh for all he does, but I'm especially proud of you for being the woman and mother you are. We both know how much emotion goes into being a mother and a wife and how much EXTRA you put in for both you and
ReplyDeleteJoshua. To make sure Harper knows her Daddy and understands he WILL be home. I hope you know my talking to you EVERYDAY is just a small reminder to you and Harper, that we are here..ALWAYS! We suppor tyou and love you unconditionally and NO MATTER WHAT. That's what FAMILY is all about. Lauren-you have been more than I could ask for in these years and I hope I can be somewhat of the same in both the tough times and the happy! LOVE YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH!! Don't you dare forget it!! HA HA!! =)