>

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Sub Ball 2011

I usually LOVE any excuse to dress up and have an evening out... but when the Navy girls talked about going to the Sub Ball I wasn't interested at first.  The Sailors were gone... and I love my girls but I knew it wouldn't be the same without Josh.  After some thinking... and talking to some of the girls I decided I was going to go.  I am proud of the boys, and it was the first ball since our boat had received the "Battle E" award so I decided we should represent! 

It was held at the MGM Ballroom at the Foxwoods casino.  I picked up my date Michelle at 5:30 and met my other dates Tresa, Julia and Adrienne at our table.  The theme of the night was "Celebrating 200 Years" since the end of the Cold War. We had the biggest Sub Ball in the world with 2100 people in attendance.  The program started, and as with every sub ball- the names of all the submarines that have gone on "Eternal Deployment" were read off (meaning they sank), their flags were lowered, the bell rang, and we had a moment of silence for them all.  They had an older gentleman playing "Amazing Grace" on the bag pipes... and it was beautiful.  I know this is tradition but it gave me chills to think about this while our submarine was out. 


My FAVORITE part of every ball is finding the oldest Sailor in the room!  This year it was Lt. Ernest Virgil Plantz.  He was born in 1920. He has had his Dolphins for over 60 years!! Mr. Plantz served with the United States Navy in World War II and attained the rank of Lieutenant.  In 1942 he survived the sinking of his submarine, the USS Perch, by Japanese forces and became a prisoner of war. He was liberated more than 3 years later in 1945.  He was awarded several medals including the Purple Heart and Bronze Star.  He overcame physical and emotional damages that he suffered being a Prisoner of War to serve his community and fellow veterans.

He actually lives down the road from us.  He has the American Flag and the Prisoner of War Flag flying in his front yard every day... and now whenever I see it I get goosebumps to know how special it must be to him to be able wake up and see it every day.  It sure makes me proud to be in a country that someone liked him fought for.

He is in the Connecticut Veteran Hall of Fame.

The salad was amazing.... and then dinner was served. I was devastated... I'm super allergic to capers and they were allll over the dinner.  Under the potatoes, on top of the chicken and shrimp... so I had to have another salad! The dessert was awesome though.... it was a 6 layer chocolate cake! yummmm.  When they did the cake cutting ceremony, Lt Plantz and another older Sailor got to cut it together using a sword.  I couldn't get a picture but it was very special. 


By the time all the speeches were done it was about 9:30 and I was exhausted.  I chatted with the other wives from my boat and then most of us headed home to continue the count down till our sailors are home, and to say a little prayer in hopes for a safe return for them.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you got to go, you look fabulous in the pictures... =) We here in Idaho are praying for Joshs safe return as well, and hope it is SOON! Proud of you for being so strong while he is away and thankful that you have some great friends to keep you company as well! Take care girl!

    ReplyDelete