>

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Traditions in the Making

Before Josh and I ever had Harper, we knew we wanted to make sure that we could give her the best childhood that we possibly could.  Full of love, laughter and traditions.  I always enjoyed telling him about traditions we had a kids.... things like hiding the pickle on the tree & building gingerbread houses.  He talked about when they would pile their presents by the tree waiting for his parents to wake up so they could open them up.  Its something about this time of year, where memories come rushing back to me.  I just love love this time of year.

Well, as you have noticed- Holidays are a big thing here at Casa de Peterson.  Tonight is a special night... The Grinch, Peppermint Stick Hot Chocolate and Gingerbread Houses!  While Josh got the movie ready, I was whipping up the hot chocolate.  I picked out special cups.... cups that say a little something about the person drinking it! ha ha. I bet you know who's is who's cup!

Harper doesn't get sweets often... and if she does- they are organic lolly pops!! So hot chocolate with a peppermint stick was quite a big deal!!  She LOOOOOVED her hot chocolate!! She seemed a little confused at first.... like "why is this hot?!" but after 
sticking her tongue in it a few times, she decided it was pretty good! 

I watch the Grinch every year... its an inside joke between my sister and I.... as far back as I can remember-  I have called her the Grinch.  She seriously hates Christmas!! This year she actually got Harper the book and a stuffed Grinch.  She said "Harper needs to know the truth about me!" ha ha ha. Harper did enjoy the songs, and she "wooo woooo'ed" when the dog came on the TV.  Maybe next Christmas, Auntie Grinch will come join the festivities.

So after the movie, we sat down at the kitchen table to help Harper build her first gingerbread house.  Josh said, in his 27 years he has NEVER built one!  I think I have built 25! Harper's eyes were wide as Christmas ornaments when she saw all the candy on the table! I let her have a candy cane... I told her not to get used to it!!  After what seemed like a LONG time, The house was complete.  We even gave it an address... 12. Like our address!! 


Harper needed a bath and her teeth brushed... but I'm sure she will have visions of sugar plums dancing in her head! One look at the gingerbread house will be sure to give you SWEET Dreams!

1 comment:

  1. Gus has never made one either!! CRAZY!! We may have to use your idea and do the same! I think Addyson would have a blast! =) LOVE the picture of you and Harper! She cracks me up with her little grin! I can just see her saying "Mmmmm..this is heaven!" HA HA!

    ReplyDelete